The Laboratory for Parasitological, Environmental and Tropical Studies
OUTLINE OF THE LABORATORY
The Laboratory for Parasitological, Environmental and Tropical Studies at the Medical University of Gdansk begins its activities as a part of the “Excellence Initiative – Research University” program. The unit was established thanks to the experience of the staff of the Division of Tropical Parasitology, which was set up within the structure of the Faculty of Health Sciences with the Institute of Maritime and Tropical Medicine of the Medical University of Gdańsk. In addition to advanced biomedical analyses and research in the fields of parasitology, entomology, tropical medicine, travel medicine, and environmental pollution, the Laboratory offers consultations to employees and postgraduate students of the Medical University of Gdańsk, as well as to external entities, as a part of ongoing research and development projects.
The staff of the Department is composed of specialists in biotechnology, biology and medical analysis, with many years of professional experience:
- Dr. Habil. Anna Lass, Assoc. Prof.
- Dr. Habil. Maciej Grzybek, Assoc. Prof.
- Dr. Habil. Beata Szostakowska
- Dr. Habil. Beata Biernat
- Karolina Baranowicz, M.A.
- Aldona Gajek, M.A.
- Joanna Nowicka, M.A.
- Emilia Załugowicz, M.A.
- Martyna Krupińska, M.A.
- Paweł Gładysz, M.A.
Laboratory of Molecular Biology
The division has a professional molecular biology laboratory, consisting of an RNA analysis section and a DNA analysis section.
PCR, real-time PCR (quantitative and qualitative), LAMP, RT- PCR, RFLP.
- Thermocyclers (5): MiniAmpPlus (Applied Biosystems), 2 x GeneAmpPCR System 9700 (Applied Biosystems), ProFlex PCR System (BioRad) Mastercycler (Eppendorf)
- Real-time PCR thermocyclers (2): Aria Mx (Agilent), Mx3005P (Stratagene)
- Gradient thermocycler (1): Mastercycler EPGradient (Eppendorf)
- Laminar Chambers (3)
- Nanodrop (ThermoScientific)
- Transilluminators with computerized archiving of test results (2): Essential V6 – Gel Documentation System (Uvitec), GelDoc-It Imaging System (UVP)
- Centrifuges for 0.2 – 2 mL tubes
- Thermomixers and Thermoblocks
- Horizontal Electrophoresis Kits.
Laboratory of immunology
enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), immunofluorescence assay (IFA), immunochromatographic test
Jupiter microplate reader, centrifuges, laminar flow cabine
light microscopy and UV light microscopy
- luorescence microscopes: Axiolab 5 (Zeiss) with camera, Imager. D1 (Zeiss) with camera
- light microscopes
- stereo microscope with Eduko camera.
Environmental research laboratory
filtration, flotation, flocculation, immunonagnetic separation
- Immunomagnetic Separation Kit DYNAL MPC-S, MPC-L
- Rotor DYNAL Sample Mixer
- Shaker 1 (CAT S-50), horizontal shakers
- LabsonicM sonifier (Sartorius AG)
- Water Filtration System with Masterflex L/S EasyLoad Peristaltic Pump
- AirPortMD8 air filter unit (Sartorius AG)
- Centrifuge with cooling for 50-225 mL tubes
- centrifuges for 1.5-2 mL tubes.
photo: Paweł Sudara/MUG
SCOPE OF SERVICES
- DNA/RNA isolation from various types of specimens of human (blood, tissue homogenate, cerebrospinal fluid, amniotic fluid, scrapings, feces, FTA papers), animal (feces, tissue, blood), environmental (water, soil, vegetable/fruit washings) and direct arthropod (e.g. ticks) origin.
* The isolation method is selected according to the type of test material and the purpose of further analyses.
- DNA/RNA detection in various types of human, animal and environmental samples (PCR, nested PCR, real-time PCR, LAMP)
* The detection method is selected depending on the purpose of the analyses (screening, quantitative, qualitative, genotype determination, etc.)
- genotyping using selected markers by PCR/real-time PCR/RFLP method
- performing microscopic tests of human and animal specimens for selected parasites (fresh and stained preparations)
- graphic design for publications – microscope photographs
The laboratory performs research and analysis according to individual projects. Service costs are valued individually.
Dr. Habil. Anna Lass, Assoc. Prof.
Head of the Division of Tropical Parasitology
Medical University of Gdańsk
Phone: 58 349 1945
Dr. Habil. Maciej Grzybek, Assoc. Prof.
Division of Tropical Parasitology
Medical University of Gdańsk
Phone: 58 349 1730